| Corporation Counsel:
Douglas C. Haney
One Civic Square (third floor)
Carmel, IN 46032
The City of Carmel Department of Law was formed to provide in-house legal services for the City's Departments and Officials, the City Council, the City's various Boards, Agencies and Commissions, and the City's municipal utilities. Having in-house counsel saves taxpayers about $100 per hour or more in legal fees for matters that would previously have gone to higher-priced outside counsel.
The Law Department also:
- Reviews all City contracts. Represents the City in legal proceedings.
- Drafts City ordinances and other legal papers.
- Prosecutes City ordinance violators.
- Handles City employment law matters.
- Coordinates title searches and prepares documents needed for roadway construction and other public works projects.
- Represents the public interest in unsafe building and other public health and/or zoning matters such as the Carmel Motel and Thunder Alley.