City of Carmel Residential Trash & Recycling Program
Program information effective January 1, 2017
Republic Services, Contractor
Information for residents who previously opted-out of the program. click here
- Weekly trash pick-up with a 96 gallon cart. A second* 96 gallon cart will be available free of charge upon request.
- A smaller 65 gallon cart will be available free of charge upon request.
- Weekly commingled recycling pick up is included in the program at no additional cost. A 96 gallon cart will be provided for recycling. A second* 96 gallon cart will be available free of charge upon request.
- Recycling pick up will be the same day as trash pick-up.
- A smaller cart 65 gallon cart will be available free of charge upon request.
- A total of 3 carts split between trash & recycling
- Christmas tree pick up is included in the program at no additional cost. Please have Christmas trees cut in half and laid next to the trash cart.
- The seasonal pick-up of up to 20 bags/bundles of yard waste per week is included in the program at no additional cost.
- Bulky item pick up available at an additional $10.00 charge per item
- Bulky landscape waste pick-up available at $10.00 per pick-up. Eight cubic yards limit.
- Overage tags for extra trash are available for purchase should residents ever need them. $2.50 each.
- Extra carts (over the 3 provided in the base contract) will be made available at an extra charge of $5.00 per cart/per month.
During the months of April, May, October 15th to December 15th, each household is allowed 20 extra bags or bundles per week of Landscape waste. Outside of these months, each household is allowed one 4 foot bundle of twigs/limbs that are tied and bundled in addition to one trash container.
Bulky Landscape Waste Pick-up:
In addition to the free seasonal weekly 20 bags/bundles mentioned above, residents can also schedule a special bulky landscape waste at $10.00 per pick-up. This pick-up includes up to 8 cubic yards of material (A standard pick-up truck bed is 2.5 cubic yards) To schedule this service please call Republic Services at 317-917-7300 option 3.
Alternate Sized Carts:
We ask that a 30 day trial period is given to evaluate container size before ordering a different sized container. If you determine that a different sized will better fit you needs call Republic Services at 317-917-7300 option 3 and inform the representative of the desired size. Container sizes are 96 and 65 gallons. Please note the footprint of both container sizes are similar so you are encouraged to go with the larger container size for times when extra capacity is needed.
Bulky Item Pickup:
Bulky items include household furniture, some appliances, bicycles, etc. Special pickup for these items include an additional fee of $10.00 per item to be paid by the resident. Please contact Republic Services at least 48 hours prior to your normal pickup day if you have a heavy or bulky item. Prior arrangements are required. To schedule bulky item pick up call Republic Services at 317-917-7300 option 3.
Here is a link to maps of the City that show your designated service day for trash and recycle. (pdf of map)
Information concerning containers and recycling:
Cost Per Month, Per Residential Unit
Includes Billing Service Fee
Special Overage Tags:
In the event of large amounts of extra waste overage tags are available for purchase for $2.50 each. No cash needed, amount will be added to your Carmel Utility Bill:
Carmel Utilities Billing Office
30 West Main Street
Mon. – Fri. 8 am. to 5 pm.
Carmel Water Operations Office
3450 W. 131st Street
Mon. – Fri. 8 am. to 5 pm.
Carmel Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Site
901 N. Range Line Road
Tues. – Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. to Noon.
In the event of inclement weather, trash and recycling services will run a day behind (i.e. if Monday service is cancelled, Monday customers are serviced Tuesday. Friday customers are serviced on Saturday). For updated information on weather related delayed schedules, refer to the City or Utilities websites at www.carmelutilities.com or www.carmel.in.gov or the Republic Services at 317-917-7300 option 3.
Trash collection will not run on the following holidays:
New Year’s Day
Service will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week following the holiday.
If you are going to be away from your home for a month or longer and would like to suspend trash service and related charges call the Carmel Utilities Customer Service Office at 317-571-2442. This feature also requires that the water service to the home be shut off. Suspension of trash and water service is not available for periods less than one month.
Special Needs Service:
For those individuals with special needs who are physically unable to wheel their trash carts to the curb, Republic has a special service where they will wheel your cart down for you. To get additional information contact Republic Services at 317-917-7300 option 3.
Trash & Recycling Program for Businesses and Organizations
The features and benefits of the City of Carmel residential trash & recycling program is now available to non-residential businesses and organizations within the City limits of Carmel. Pick-up logistic review and pre-approval is required. For more information click here.
Questions and Who to Contact:
Service & Container Related Items:
For large item pick-up, bulky landscape waste pick-up, broken containers, ordering extra containers, container switch out, missed trash pick-up, special needs service, recycling questions etc. contact:
Republic ServicesBilling Questions:
317-917-7300 ext. 3
Mon - Fri between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For questions about your bill, extended absence notification or unresolved complaints with Republic Services contact:
Mon - Fri between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
or email email@example.com