Carmel Utilities Departments
||Utilities Director:John Duffy
Customer Service and Billing: 571-2442
30 West Main Street
Carmel, IN 46032
Monday-Friday 8:00a.m.- 5:00p.m.
award winning Carmel Utilities Department provides water, wastewater and trash
service to over 27,000 households & businesses in Carmel.
The Utilities Department includes three divisions:
- Water Division
which ensures Carmel residents have an ample supply of clean
Division which handles the disposal of the city’s sanitary wastewater as well as
the Carmel Green
(Biosolids) Program and the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal site.
- The Trash &
Recycling Division which contracts for residential trash and curbside recycling
History of Carmel Utilities
The Carmel water system was started in 1929 with a single well and limited distribution system. As the system grew, additional wells were added in 1946, 1953, 1965, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1987, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2007. Today the system has 20 wells providing raw water to three treatment facilities.
The first water treatment plant was built in 1964. Continued growth required the expansion of the first plant in 1965 to 1.0 million gallons per day (MGD), construction of a second plant in 1971 with expansion to 3.0 MGD in 1975 and the purchase of a third 2.0 MGD plant in 1981. The fourth plant went on line in 1995.
In April 2002 the Utility purchased 2,300 customers from Hamilton Western Utility.
In June 2006 the Utility purchased 8,300 residential customers and some commercial customers from Indianapolis.
In 2012 opened a new water treatment plant at 106th & Gray Road. Environmental features include being first in the state to use geothermal energy from treated water.
Treatment in all plants includes iron removal, softening, disinfection and fluoridation.
With internal usage the system currently can produce approximately 36 MGD for distribution.
From its limited distribution system in 1929 the system has grown to approximately 475 miles of water main serving over 27,000 customers.
Household Hazardous Waste & Recycling:
The Carmel Household Hazardous Waste Collection Site opened in 1998 at its current location off of North Rangeline Road.
Use of the sites services increased yearly from drop off items measured at only 19,760 items in 1999 to over 103 tons in 2010.
Carmel Wastewater Plant History
CARMEL WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT HISTORY In April 1959, plans were approved for the first wastewater treatment plant for the town of Carmel. The Plant was located on the north side of Carmel on Rangeline Road, which is now occupied by the Household Hazardous Waste building. The original sewer system went from Smokey Row Road on the North side to South Sixth Street on the south side to York Drive and Emerson on the west side and Audubon Drive on the east side.
In 1967, the Sanitary Board was established. Later that same year, an agreement between the board and American Suburban Utilities allowed for the construction of the wastewater plant located at 96th street and River Road (Hazel Dell Parkway).
In 1969, the town of Carmel bought the 96th Street plant from the Keystone Square Company for the amount of $880,480.
In 1972, storm water was banned from entering the sanitary system.
In 1984 the total daily capacity at the 96th Street plant was increased The Plant’s daily capacity doubled from three million gallons a day to six million gallons a day.
In 1988 the total daily capacity was increased from 6.0 mgd to 8.8 mgd and was done to accommodate flow from Carmel, Clay District and Hamilton-Western and some from Westfield.
In 1991 additions were made to the plant that allowed the flow capacity to expand to 12 MGD (million gallons per day). Clay Township Regional Waste District began to pump wastewater from Home Place and the surrounding area to the 96th Street plant.
In 2001, the centrifuge facility was constructed. The building went on-line August 1, 2002.
In 2004, work began on the ultra violet disinfection system. The U.V. system allowed the plant to stop using chlorine gas for disinfection and sulfur dioxide for dechlorination. The system went live in June 2006.
In 2006, work began on the Bio-Pasteur process (The first in the United States). The system pasteurizes the solids from the anaerobic digester to destroy the pathogenic bacteria to allow a class “A” rating for its biosolids. The City of Carmel was awarded the 2006 Honors Award for the Engineering Excellence Competition which was sponsored by the American Council of Engineering Companies of Indiana.
In 2007, the Bioway tanks were installed to control biological odor. Also, covers were installed over the effluent channel of the secondary clarifiers to prevent the growth of algae.
In 2008, the solar dryer building project (a greenhouse that allows the biosolids to further dry and make a more homeowner friendly product) was started and finished.
In late 2009, work began on a new headworks building. Parts of the old headworks date back to the early 1970’s and limit the plant’s hydraulic capacity. The hydraulic capacity of the new headworks will be 40 mgd. Building completed in 2011.
Download "Carmel Waste Water Plant History" here