Welcome to the Building & Code Services Web pages. Customer service is a priority within our department, and we hope you will find this on-line information source helpful. We are committed to providing professional and courteous service, in addition to streamlining processes and procedures wherever possible.
In light of this commitment, we are happy to offer our citizens the opportunity to view permit and code enforcement information via our On-Line Permitting & Code Enforcement software. (See link above.) In the near future, we also hope to utilize this software in a paper-less process of notification for inspection results and permit review status/comments.
Also, the "Inspector on Call" (IOC) service has been established to continue our efforts at providing professional and timely customer service to the citizens of Clay Township and to the patrons of our division. This service is provided daily, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, to maximize efficient plan review, to respond to questions posed by a visitor to our office or questions by telephone, and to help resolve other building and zoning code issues and questions which arise. The Inspector on Call can be reached at: (317) 571-2481.
The division of Building & Code Services serves Clay Township, a fifty-two (52) square mile area located within Hamilton County, Indiana, which includes the City of Carmel. Hamilton County continues to be the fastest growing county in Indiana, with the estimated 2014 population of 302,623 and the City of Carmel with an estimated 2014 population of 86,682. The boundaries of Clay Township are: the Hamilton/Boone County line on the west, the White River on the east, 146th Street on the north, and 96th Street on the south.
Who We Are / What We Do
Building & Code Services is supported by a staff of nine individuals. We process, review, and issue all building permits (Improvement Location Permits or ILPs) within Clay Township, and perform all building inspections, applying building codes adopted by the State of Indiana. This division is also responsible for responding to ordinance violations.
Our building inspectors are required to maintain updated certifications in all aspects of construction, through tests administered by the International Code Council. The Code Enforcement staff members are also required to be certified. In addition, our staff members take an active role in other community groups and events and in professional organizations. We participate annually in the City’s Public Safety Day Activities, speak to community groups—such as the Boy Scouts of America, and represent the City as both a member of and sometimes a speaker or panelist for the Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis (BAGI) and the Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis—Hamilton County Council. Our office is a member of the International Code Council (ICC), the Indiana Association of Building Officials (IABO), the National Conference of States on Building Code Standards, the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM), and the Indiana Association for Floodplain and Storm Water, (INAFSM).
What's New at Building & Code Services
- Plans submitted for review should be, if at all possible, on paper no larger than 11" by 17". We do understand in some instances, however, that minimizing plans to this size may not be possible. Further, a PDF copy of the plans must also be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of plans sent electronically should be clearly labeled on the plans as to the address of construction and the project name, and should list the Builder/Contractor’s name.
- Please click here for a list of fees [PDF] for the Department of Community Services.
- The Inspector on Call (IOC), or "help desk" hours have changed. The IOC can now be reached between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM each weekday. (317) 571-2481
- Footing, Under-slab, and Bonding/Grounding inspections are now to be scheduled a minimum of one day prior to the day you want your inspection, by calling into the Building & Code Services main office line, at: (317) 571-2444. AM and PM time blocks will still be utilized when scheduling, based on the project’s location.
- We are now asking for the specific flood zone designation(s), for the location(s) where the work is being done. A map is provided in our office, to help you determine the correct zone designation(s).
- We are also now making sure the zoning designation of the property where work is occurring is being indicated on the permit application. A copy of the zoning map is being provided, to help you to locate the correct designation information.
- Carmel Utilities is now the water service provider for all Clay Township. We require a water check at the time of permit submittal. Please click here for fee information.