Since coming to Carmel in 2005, Sue has been very active in the community. Her leadership involvement includes:
- Chairperson, Carmel PorchFest
- Founder or FortheLoveofCarmel.com
- Past board member for the Carmel Symphony Orchestra
- Former president/member of Carmel-Clay Kiwanis
- Former secretary for the City of Carmel’s Economic Development Commission
- Member US 31 Community Advisory Committee
- Alumnus of the Richard G. Lugar Excellence in Public Service Series
- Alumnus of the Stanley K Lacy Executive Leadership Series
- Member, Indiana Assoc. of Cities and Towns 2015 Legislative Committee and Transportation Committee
Sue’s not foreign to representing constituents. From 2000-2005, she represented the needs of over 12,000 certified athletic trainers as Chair of the Clinical/Industrial/Corporate committee for the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA). In Indiana, she served as governmental affairs chair and helped push through important legislation to help protect and improve the healthcare of Indiana’s student athletes.
Sue grew up in northern Michigan, received her Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from Central Michigan University, and upon moving to Indiana, was awarded a Master’s Degree in Management from Indiana Wesleyan University. Sue has been a frequent speaker at national, state and local trade associations on the topic of ergonomics, marketing and athletic training. Sue has also authored a textbook, is a former column editor for a professional healthcare journal and is a former columnist for the Current in Carmel.
On the personal side, Sue is married to Joe Finkam, a Professional Engineer and business owner. They have a young son, Drew, who attends Carmel schools. They are very much a “sports family,” involved in Carmel Dads’ Club and Indiana Fire Juniors travel soccer program. Joe, Sue and Drew also attend Grace Community Church.