Welcome to Carmel News Release page
New Roundabouts Coming!
City of Carmel
One Civic Square
Carmel, IN 46032
Date: June 30, 2020
Contact: Nancy Heck, 317-571-2494
New roundabouts coming to 116th Street at College, Guilford; construction to begin July 15
Carmel, IN – Construction is set to begin on or after July 15 on two new roundabouts at 116th Street and College Avenue and 116th Street and Guilford Road. Both projects will be built simultaneously and will require lane restrictions, but not full closures. East-west traffic will be maintained throughout the duration of the projects.
Construction costs will be about $3.4 million, with 80 percent of that coming from federal funding in the form of a Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement grant. Most of the work will be completed in 125 days.
Below is the schedule of construction, which could change due to weather or utility relocations.
- Phase 1 (approximately 4-10 days): Preliminary work will take place within the median of 116th Street to allow traffic shifts in future phases.
- Phase 2 (approximately 35 days): The northern portion of both roundabouts will be constructed. There will be full vehicle access to the south, but no vehicle access to the north at Guilford Road or College Avenue. Both east and west traffic will be maintained (one lane in each direction) on the southern portion of the intersections on 116th Street.
- Phase 3 (approximately 35 days): The southern portion of both roundabouts will be constructed. East and west vehicular traffic will be maintained on the northern portion of the intersections on 116th Street during this phase. There will be full vehicle access to the north, but no vehicle access to the south at Guilford Road or College Avenue.
- Phase 4 (approximately 30 days): During phase four, there will be full access from the north and the south to 116th Street at both roundabouts but east-west access across the roundabouts will not be available as work in the center of the roundabouts is completed.
- Phase 5 (approximately 15 days): Both intersections will be substantially complete with finishing work taking place during this time. Temporary lane restrictions are possible during this time in order to complete median work along with final asphalt surface and pavement markings.
Stay on top of the news, follow the City of Carmel on Social Media.