Welcome to Carmel News Release page
CPD Awarded CALEA
Date: August 4, 2020
Contact: Lt. James Semester, 317-571-2500
Carmel Police Department Awarded CALEA Re-Accreditation
On August 3, 2020 the Carmel Police Department received its eighth accreditation award from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) for continuing to meet the highest professional standards for public safety. CALEA serves as the premier credentialing association for public safety agencies across the United States. The purpose of CALEA's accreditation programs is to improve the delivery of public safety services by maintaining a body of standards covering a wide range of up-to-date public safety initiatives, establishing and administering an accreditation process and recognizing professional excellence. The Carmel Police Department received its initial accreditation through CALEA in 1996 and has been accredited continuously since that time.
CALEA accreditation is a recognition of distinction. The Carmel Police Department is one of only 20 agencies in the State of Indiana to achieve accreditation through CALEA. Likewise, only five percent of law enforcement agencies across the United States are accredited through CALEA.
“Law enforcement conduct continues to be a dominant topic of conversation in the news and on social media. We are proud that the Carmel Police Department continues to meet the highest standards of professionalism in the nation,” Police Chief Jim Barlow said. “This accreditation award is a testament to the quality services and commitment to excellence that our employees provide to the Carmel community every day. It is also a testament to the support we receive from our City Council and Mayor Brainard, who recognize the importance of public safety in the overall goal of creating a great place to live, work and raise a family.”
The accreditation assessment process consists of a rigorous and extensive self-assessment, annual remote web-based assessments and quadrennial site-based assessments.
The 2020 on-site assessment included 45 interviews with agency members, employees and members of the community. The interviews were conducted to gauge compliance to current policy, gain insight on agency commitments and programs, and areas of deficiency. The Carmel Police Department had no areas of deficiency noted in the 2020 assessment process. Many of CPD’s programs were shown as exemplary on the final report.
The 2020 on-site assessment report noted several areas of achievement for the department:
- School Resource Unit – The assessors recognized that Carmel Clay Schools and the School Resource Officers (officers assigned to work in the schools) have a “truly enviable relationship, which can only result in the students’ betterment.”
- Community Outreach – The assessors acknowledged the commitment that CPD has to the Carmel community, residents and visitors alike.Programs such as the CPD Citizen Academy, Teen Academy, Police Explorers, National Night Out, Crime Stoppers, Safety Lane, Vacation Watch Program, Crime Watch, Holidays with Heroes, a Community Health Forum, CarmelFest and Pack the Cruiser were all noted by assessors as “far reaching.”
- Wellness Program – Assessors recognized CPD’s programs that attribute to physical and mental health of its employees, specifically Critical Incident Stress Management, Chaplain services, peer support, psychologist and a physical therapist. “There can be no doubt that the agency is fully committed to the health and safety of its employees.Overall, this is an exemplary agency incorporating CALEA into all that they do for their citizens, visitors, and themselves.”
- Special Events – Assessors noted the attention to detail in CPD’s planning and approach to special events.
- Crime Scene and Property and Evidence – Assessors described the Carmel Police Department’s commitment to the collection and preservation of evidence as “second to none.”
Chief Barlow added, “We appreciate being recognized for our efforts to be leaders in law enforcement management and implementation of services. Carmel Police Department employees are among the best in the world and are dedicated to serving and protecting the entire Carmel community.”
The 2020 Carmel Police Department CALEA Assessment Report can be found here.
Stay on top of the news, follow the City of Carmel on Social Media.