Live Stream Holocaust Ceremony
City of Carmel
One Civic Square
Carmel, IN 46032
|Date:||April 9, 2021|
|Contact:|| Nancy Heck,
Carmel plans to Live Stream Holocaust Remembrance Ceremony
The City of Carmel’s 2021 Holocaust Remembrance Ceremony to commemorate the Holocaust.
Friday, April 16, 2021 at Noon. The ceremony will last approximately an hour.
Watch virtually through one of the following ways:
Dr. Alex Kor is originally from Terre Haute, Indiana and is the son of two Holocaust survivors, Michael and Eva Kor. While living on the east coast (from 2003- 2016), he was an active member of The Generations After, Inc. (Shoah Survivors and Descendants of Greater Washington, DC). He has traveled to Auschwitz more than 20 times with his mother. Now, more than ever, he is dedicated to continuing his late mother's work.
The program will also include:
- Mayor Jim Brainard
- Rabbi Benjamin Sendrow of Congregation Shaarey Tefilla
- Rabbi Avi Grossbaum - Chabad Center for Jewish Life
- Rabbi Justin Kerber of Congregation Beth Shalom
- The Mayor’s Advisory Commission on Human Relations - Olivia Nelson, Park Tudor, 8th Grade, daughter of Carmel City Councilman Miles Nelson
Musical performances by:
- Cantor Arnie Lewin, Shaarey Tefilla member
- Cantor Melissa Cohen
- The Carmel United Methodist Church Bell Choir
- The University High School of Indiana Vocal Quintet and Instrumental Quartet
- Indianapolis Opera Resident Artists: Madison Montambault and Joseph McBrayer, both accompanied by Andrew Pham
The City of Carmel’s annual Holocaust Remembrance Ceremony remembers and honors the victims of the Holocaust. This historical event includes a Civic Proclamation by Mayor Brainard and other special guest speakers. Every year, students from area schools participate in the event, which also features special musical performances.
The Carmel commemoration is part of Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day), an international holiday for remembering the victims of the Holocaust. It reminds us, as Americans, of what can happen to civilized people when bigotry, hatred and indifference reign.