Code Enforcement

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Building & Code Services, in conjunction with other City Departments, is responsible for the enforcement of the Carmel City Code and the Carmel Unified Development Ordinance. Among the most common concerns are tall weeds and grass, illegal banners, business uses in residential zoning districts, and improper placement or height of fences.

There are 3 ways you can report a possible code violation to the City of Carmel:
  1. Download the MyCarmel App
  2. Call the Building & Code Services office at 571-2282
  3. Send an email to Angie Johnson ( with the following information:
  • The address of the possible violation
  • A description of the possible violation
  • Your name and contact information

Your concern will be given a record number, and an inspector will go to the site to assess and document the condition of the property. The inspector will make every effort to keep you up-to-date on the situation. If relevant, other Departments such as the Carmel Police or Hamilton County Health Department will be notified as well.

Please note that the Carmel City Code applies only within the corporate limits of the City of Carmel. Carmel Unified Development Ordinance applies in all of Carmel and Clay Township.

Common Concerns

Tall Grass and Weeds: Carmel City Code, Section 6-88: Removal of Weeds, Debris, and Other Such Rank Vegetation.

Building Without a Permit: Unified Development Ordinance, Section 1.27(B): Improvement Location Permits and Certificates of Occupancy. A permit is required for most new structures proposed in Carmel and Clay Township.

Banners: Banners are prohibited within the City of Carmel and Clay Township as stated in Unified Development Ordinance, Section 5.39(D)(6): Prohibited Signs. However, there are special circumstances outlined in Section 5.39(Q): Permitted Banners that would allow some banners for a limited time period.

Fences: Fences in Carmel and Clay Township now require a permit; standards for height and placement can be found in Unified Development Ordinance, Section 5.09: Fence and Wall Standards.

Business in Residential Zoning District: See the Permitted Use section of the corresponding zoning district in Article 2 of the Unified Development Ordinance. See also the guidelines for a Home Occupation in Section 5.18.