Carmel is internationally known for its roundabout network. Since the late 1990’s Carmel has been building and replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts. Carmel now has more than 138 roundabouts, more than any other city in the United States.
Roundabouts move traffic more efficiently and reduce the number of fatalities and serious-injury accidents. They work because of their safety record, their compatibility with the environment, their aesthetics and their ability to make it easier for pedestrians and bicyclists to navigate.
The number of injury accidents in Carmel have reduced by about 80 percent and the number of accidents overall by about 40 percent. Our numbers are similar to those reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
(updated February 2021)
Roundabout videos on the City’s YouTube
By touching, tapping or clicking on the playlist icon in the top right of the video screen (three lines with play symbol) a menu opens with a selection of additional videos within the playlist.
Select a video to view and then close the menu with the "X".
Roundabouts have many benefits including the decrease in overall personal injury accidents throughout all roadways in Carmel. Please see the chart comparing Carmel’s personal injury rates to other locations in Indiana.
Carmel Roundabouts in the News
Articles, news interviews and other information about Carmel's roundabout transportation networks has been featured all over the world. Below is a partial list of the media outlets where Carmel has been included.
- April 2022 - Saturday Soapbox: A street concept that could save gas, money, time -- and lives
- April 2021 - In Praise of the Roundabout
- August 2020 - For Traffic Safety, Roundabouts Run Circles Around Stoplights
- December 2016 - How to Plow a Roundabout
- December 2016 - Circular Logic: Making Intersections Safer in a Roundabout Way
- January 2016 - Carmel outlines bold roundabout plan
- March 2016 - Local businessmen spend morning circling Carmel roundabouts
- March 2016 - Why landscaping is being added to roundabouts in Hamilton County
- May 2014 - Study: Carmel has some of the lowest car insurance costs in Indiana
- October 2014 - City officials to visit Indiana town to discuss roundabouts
- October 2015 - Round and Round: Carmel man sets out to set roundabout driving record
- November 2015 - Indiana man sets world record for time spent driving in a roundabout
- October 2015 - Carmel roundabout a favorite in the U.K.
- October 2015 - Roundabouts may confuse, but stats back up their safety
- September 2015 - This one trick in Carmel, Indiana lowered traffic injury accidents by 80%
- March 2015 - Carmel mayor shares vision for elevated roundabout at 96th and Keystone
- January 2013 - In Indiana city, roundabouts all the rage
- June 2012 - Govpro.com - The Keating Report - Local Government Fiscal Realities
- May 2012 - Peoria, IL - CNN News Now.com - What's to come by going round and round
- May 2011 - Inhabitat.com - Keystone Parkway is the Greenest Highway Intersection in the US
- November 2011 - The Economist Magazine - featuring Carmel's Roundabouts
- July 2011 - Governing Magazine - The Many Benefits of Roundabouts
- July 2011 - Times-Herald online (Georgia) - There's a Roundabout Revolution in the U.S.
- July 2011 - The Meggerman Report - A Roundabout Way to Control Traffic
- June 2011 - BBC News Magazine - Is the British Roundabout Conquering the US?
- June 2011 - Global TV Toronto - Unlock Gridlock
- May 2011 - CNN - Anderson Cooper 360 Show, Building Up America
- May 2011 - Channel 6 - Myrt Price's story on the International Conference on Roundabouts
- October 2010 - Financial Times - Road planners set to send US drivers in circles
- October 2010 - Newsweek - A Safer Route on the Roads in Indiana
- August 2009 - Midwest Construction - A Roundabout Highway Design
- May 2009 - Sarasota Observer - Roundabout Central
- September 2008 - TIME - You Want A Revolution