Would you like to be a part of the best the Nation has to offer?
A career with the Carmel Police Department offers security, prestige, respect and personal satisfaction. Our officers are members of a progressive, professional and nationally accredited department. The Carmel Police Department offers a variety of assignments with the opportunity for advancement, including promotions and specialized positions. Our goal is to provide the highest level of police service to each person we contact. We pledge to sustain a working partnership with the community we serve so that we can maintain a safe and peaceful environment for all.
Do you have what it takes to serve the community?
Click here to get started!
Minimum Requirements For Carmel Police Officer Applicants
- Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or State Board of Education is acceptable.
- Shall possess a valid Indiana drivers license (or obtain one within 60 days of becoming an Indiana resident) and have no more than six (6) active points.
- Shall be a US citizen.
- Shall be at least 21 years of age, and under the age of 40 or be a veteran who has at least 20 years of service in the armed forces and be no older than 40 years and six months.
- Shall be drug-free, and have no convictions for driving under the influence of drugs.
- Shall have no more then two-(2) alcohol-related violations as a minor (18-21 years of age).
- Shall not have a conviction for operating a vehicle while intoxicated (OWI), or operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) in excess of 0.08%.
- Shall have no felony convictions.
- Shall have no convictions for any Class A misdemeanor.
- Shall have no convictions for selected Class B misdemeanors. The final decision regarding disqualification in this area will be made by the Chief of Police.
- Shall not have received other than an honorable discharge from the military, or other discharge with honorable conditions.
- If hired, shall establish residency as required by state law or local ordinance.
- Entry level starting salary, $62,889.00
- 20 Year Retirement Eligibility
- PERF, 457 and 401 Retirement Plans
- Up to 50% match on Deferred Comp plans
- $20,000 Life Insurance
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 30 days sick leave per year
- 12 vacation days after 1st Year
- 13 paid Holidays
- $15/hour Holiday Pay
- $1,400 Annual Clothing Allowance
- $250 per year Longevity Pay
- Shift Differential Pay
- Specialty Pays for selected assignments
- Automatic Court Overtime
- Bonus pay for Physical Fitness Testing
- Take home Squad Car (Hamilton and contiguous counties)
The following physical fitness tests are pass/fail and must be successfully completed to continue in the hiring process. It would be in each applicants best interest to prepare themselves for the physical fitness portion of the hiring process. No special equipment is necessary to perform these tests.
1.5 Mile Run
|16 minutes, 28 seconds|
1 Minute Sit-ups
300 Meter Run
An Equal Opportunity Employer