Water Use Efficiency & other water resources:
- Water is Life
- Water Saver Home
- The Alliance for Water Efficiency
- American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association
- Project Wet, Water Education Information for Teachers
- Smart Irrigation/ Irrigation Association of America
- The Groundwater Foundation
- U.S. Green Building Council (LEED Information)
- Carmel Green Initiative
- EPA’s Energy Star Program
- U.S. Department of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Recycling & Household Hazardous Waste:
- Water Environment Federation www.wef.org
- Indiana Water Environment Association www.indianawea.org
- Carmel Wastewater Plant Headworks Building - Learn about the Carmel Wastewater Plant's newest upgrade, the Headworks Building!
- Northwest Biosolids Management Association www.nwbiosolids.org
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management www.IN.gov/idem
- United States Environmental Protection Agency www.epa.gov
- Irrigation Association www.irrigation.org
Water Education Websites for Teachers and Students
Top Water Education Websites
- Groundwater Foundation www.groundwater.org This site gives pages of games and puzzles for various ages. Teachers Guides. Youth event planning information. Mobile game app for iPhones. Free downloadable teacher’s guide and other tools.
- American Water Works Association www.drinktap.org This site has 1 minute educational videos for students, online games of all sorts related to drinking water (helpful hint: click on the kids tab then click on the “Find the answer!”)
- EPA WaterSense www.epa.gov/watersense Go to the “WaterSense for Kids” tab on the right hand toolbar. There are activities for students as well as a teacher’s guide.
Additional Interactive Water Information Websites
- Water Saver Home www.h2ouse.org Excellent interactive feature that shows room by room in a house where water is used and excellent easy to understand statistics for each water using aspect of a home.
- Home Water Works www.Home-Water-Works.com Similar to h2ouse.org above, click on the house and it shows aspects of different water usage. It gives pop up tips. This would be engaging for older elementary students although they would need the list of approximately 20 simple questions to ask their parents before they complete the on-line questions.
- Water Use it Wisely www.wateruseitwisely.com Have a vast amount of water saving tips and educational material applicable for all levels.
Water Information Resource Websites
The below websites have various types of documents/links for water facts and articles. Most are geared towards adults or older students.
- Water is Life www.waterislife.com International Water Facts
- The Alliance for Water Efficiency www.allianceforwaterefficiency.org
- American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association www.arcsa.org Information on rain barrels and rainfall impact
- Irrigation Association of America/Smart Irrigation www.smartirrigationmonth.org Information on landscape watering and plantings.
- Project Wet, Water Education Information for Teachers www.projectwet.org
- Site a larger variety of resource/program information mostly geared towards adults and older students. For recycling specific information go to the “Recycle Guide” and “Recycle Search” on the top left tabs on the screen.
- This website has information for teachers as well as students. It has an interactive game “Dumptown” . At first glance it looks like the game would be for elementary students, but upon further investigation, it has more involved concepts and could be very useful for older students.
- There is a separate Teachers information section.
- Information for all ages on landfills, recycling, how to make a difference, as well as related videos. There is a particularly a good video on the life cycle of a cereal box. On the top toolbar, go to “for the Planet” and then Education resources.
Manager of Environmental Initiatives & Education
30 W. Main St. Ste 220
Carmel, IN 46032